Skagit County implements modified burn ban
Due to forecasted high temperatures, possible dry lightning strikes, and decreasing fuel moisture levels and available fire resources, the Fire Marshal’s Office has implemented a modified burn ban in unincorporated areas of Skagit County to allow recreational burning only. This change was effective as of 8 a.m. today.
Recreational fires are those used for cooking and pleasure and consist of only charcoal or firewood. As of this morning, all recreational fires must meet the following criteria:
• Fires must be in an enclosure that is a minimum of 18 inches high; no larger than 3 feet across; and made of cement block, stones, or #10 gauge steel.
• Burned materials must be kept lower than the sidewalls of the enclosure.
• A charged garden hose, or two five-gallon buckets of water or a five-gallon Class A fire extinguisher with a shovel must be on site.
• Fires must be 10 feet from any standing timber, and no tree branches can be within 10 feet above the enclosure.
• At least one person 16 years of age or older who is capable of putting the fire out must be present at all times.
As of this morning, debris-burning fires are not allowed until further notice. Yard waste and construction debris can be recycled and disposed of instead of burned.
For complete lists of alternatives to burning and for recreational burning conditions, visit www.skagitcounty.net. For more information or questions regarding open burning in Skagit County, call the Skagit County fire warden at (360) 428-3293.
If you live within city limits of any of the incorporated cities or towns, contact your city fire department for current burning restrictions. The permanent open burning ban remains in effect in Anacortes and its urban growth areas. For more information on the burn ban, contact the Northwest Clean Air Agency at (800) 622-4627 or visit www.nwcleanair.org.
If your property falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Natural Resources, please call (360) 856-3500 for burn permit information.
No comments found.Commenting is not available in this channel entry.